Delicious and easy pork carnitas come out perfectly using the slow cooker.
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 8 servings
Recipe author: Nutritiouseats.com
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder (also called pork butt), trimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- Combine spices (cumin through salt) in a small bowl, then rub mixture all over the pork. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pork and sear for about 6 minutes total, a few minutes on each side. Transfer pork to the slow cooker. Add orange juice, lime juice, vegetable broth, chopped onion and garlic. Cover with the lid. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove lid and using 2 forks, shred pork (should be fall apart tender). If you like the crispy bits of meat then put some on a foil lined cookie sheet and broil for a couple minutes or until you get some crispy bites. Make sure to spoon the juices over the meat before serving.
- Fill corn tortillas with (optional) refried beans, pork, shredded cheese. top with shredded cabbage, lime juice, guacamole or avocado and hot sauce.