Serves: 2 large or 4 smaller shakes
Recipe author: Meatified.com
- ¾ cup / 125 g chopped pitted Medjool dates (about 8)
- ½ cup / 45 g lightly crushed unsweetened banana chips
- 1 cup / 240 ml chilled coconut milk
- 1 cup / 240 ml ice
- 2 scoops collagen peptides, optional
- ⅛ tsp ground mace
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of vanilla bean powder
- ¼ - ½ tsp fine sea salt, to taste
- whipped coconut cream
- sprinkle of date sugar
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- SOAK: Add the dates and banana chips to a small bowl and pour over enough hot, just boiled, water to cover. Soak for 15 minutes, until the dates and banana chips have softened and the water is tinted caramel color.
- BLEND: Drain the dates and banana chips, then add them to a high powered blender pitcher, along with the coconut milk, ice, collagen, mace, cinnamon, vanilla and half of the fine sea salt. Blend until smooth and creamy, then taste. If you would like a stronger salted flavor, add the remaining half of the salt and blend again.
- SERVE: Divide the salted caramel date shake mixture between two glasses. If you like, top with a scoop of coconut cream, a sprinkle of date sugar and a pinch of ground cinnamon. For a super cold shake that's not watered down by adding extra ice, you can also make the smoothie ahead of time and chill for an hour or so before serving.