Pulled pork is a southern staple that I’ve cooked so many times now that I’ve lost count! To change it up a little I decided to try cooking paleo Carnitas, also known as Mexican pulled pork.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours 15 minutes
Recipe author: Noshtastic.com
- 4- 5 lb Boston Pork Butt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 orange zest only
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- The easiest way to make this is in your oven, if you want to cook it on a grill please read the post for details.
- Place the pork in a large oven proof roasting pan and simply season with a little salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F and when it is ready add the pork on the middle shelf, do not cover it.
after 40 minutes turn it down to 325F.
- Cooking time is going to vary depending on the size of your cut of meat and whether it has a bone in it or not.
- I would expect it to take between 5 – 7 hours to cook so that the pork is ‘pullable’ and the bone comes out without any resistance.
- While the pork is cooking mix together the remaining marinade ingredients and set aside.
- When the pork is cooked pull it apart with a couple of forks and remove the extra fatty bits and any bones.
- Add the marinade to the meat and mix well, then spread it out onto a large wide oven proof pan.
- Turn on the broiler and put the pan underneath it but not so close that it will burn, watch it for 5 – 7 minutes until it’s crisped a little on top.
- Serve in toasted corn tortillas with slaw, salsa or any other taco fixings you prefer, I like it with avocado slices, guacamole and shredded cheese.
- If you are following Paleo or Whole 30 then use some large lettuce leaves to wrap it in instead.