This Banana Bread French Toast is pure paleo breakfast comfort food! Made with a hearty banana-sweetened grain free and paleo banana bread, it’s perfect for a weekend breakfast treat when you’re craving something indulgent. Gluten free, dairy free, refined-sugar free.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
Total Time: 18 mins
Servings: 4-6 servings
Recipe author: Michele
- 6 slices paleo banana bread 3/4 inch thick, 1 or 2 day-old bread is best
- 3 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or light coconut milk I find full fat too heavy for this recipe
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil for frying
- Additional maple syrup
- Toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- Sliced bananas
- Coconut whipped cream
- Dark chocolate chips
- After slicing your banana bread, whisk together the eggs, almond or coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt. Heat a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil to melt.
- Once the skillet or griddle is heated, whisk the egg mixture again to make sure it’s well combined, then dip a slice of bread in the mixture and place in the skillet. Repeat until the skillet is filled (you’ll need to make this in batches)
- Fry on one side until golden brown, flip and cook the second side the same, then remove from skillet. Repeat the process with the second batch, adding a second Tbsp of coconut oil and adjusting the heat as necessary to avoid burning.
- Serve warm with optional additional toppings. Enjoy!